Just like any injury, injuries to the teeth, lips and gum could happen at any time. Playing impact sports, tripping and falling or accidentally biting something too hard could all cause oral injury. Broken teeth, cut lips and bleeding gums all need medical assistance as soon as possible.
Urgent dental care at our Devon office
There might also be a case where an abscess or gum infection suddenly flares up causing immense pain and needs immediate care. All these situations constitute what are called dental emergencies. Emergency dentistry is the practice of offering immediate dental care in the case of situations like those mentioned above.
What happens during
When a patient is injured or in immense pain, they can come into the Devon Neighbourhood Dental office without an appointment. We will attend to the patient on an immediate basis and take care of the problem. Whether you are suffering from a broken tooth, tooth pain, gum swelling, infection or an injury to your mouth, our team of dental professionals can provide the timely care you need.
We address problems that include:
- Broken teeth: Accidents involving a severe blow to the mouth could result in one or several broken teeth. If you are bleeding and in pain, we advise that you first apply an ice pack to your mouth and then come see us as soon as possible. We will try and save as many teeth as we can and stop the bleeding. We can prescribe painkillers for you to ease your discomfort.
- Injuries to gums and lips: Similarly, if a blow to the mouth has resulted in lacerated lips and gums and you are bleeding profusely, first apply ice and then come see us. We will stop the bleeding and stitch up deep cuts if required. We will also check for any additional damage to your teeth and jaw.
- Pain: If you are in severe pain, you can come to us as an emergency. We will examine you to find the cause of the pain and treat you accordingly. We can also prescribe painkillers to stop the pain. If you have a toothache, we will advise you on what further treatment is required.
- Severe swellings: If you have a swelling of the mouth that is so severe that you can’t even open your mouth, you will need to come in immediately. We will find the cause of the swelling and try to bring it down. We will also manage any pain you might be in.
- Other emergencies: If you are not bleeding profusely or not in unbearable pain, you can still call and come in if a filling or a bridge has come loose, if you have any problem with your braces or implants, have a broken crown or a broken denture. We will listen to your problem on the phone and let you know if you need to come in immediately or if you will be okay to wait a while.
Post emergency treatment
The emergency treatments we offer at Devon Neighbourhood Dental are a way of immediately taking care of the problem. Profuse bleeding and severe pain need immediate attention and we do what we can in that moment to offer relief. However, in many cases, these emergency services are just a stop gap till a more long-term treatment is administered.
In many cases where a physical trauma to the mouth is involved, we might need to recommend an x-ray or a CT scan to check for internal injuries. Any damage to the roots of the teeth will have to be looked into again in more detail at a later date. Similarly, with a fracture in the jawbone, you will need a more long-term treatment.
In cases of abscesses or gum infections, you might be required to do a blood test, based on which a course of antibiotics can be prescribed. While we will do everything we can to help you in the moment, we hope that we will have your full cooperation for the long-term treatment that we recommend. We will not be able to attend out of turn patients who are not in an emergency situation, out of respect for our patients who already have an appointment. We trust that you understand the guidelines for an emergency and will follow them.
Devon Neighbourhood Dental
Devon Neighbourhood Dental is run by Dr. Laheeb Qudussi. Dr. Qudussi is an expert at handling emergency situations and has a very high success rate with emergency dentistry. With several years of experience, Dr. Qudussi has a deep understanding of various emergencies and is always quick to respond. Our newly renovated dental facility is fully equipped to handle a wide range of emergency dentistry situations.
The Devon Neighbourhood Dental office is fitted with all the latest equipment run on cutting-edge technology. Besides emergency dentistry services, we offer a wide range of other dental and periodontal services. Contact us to make an appointment for any of your dental needs. We guarantee you the highest quality of care and service.